Safety in Thailand
Thailand has always been a tourist’s paradise and been considered a safe place for foreigners. It is a most popular tourist destination visited by thousands of foreign vacationers. Of late, the volatile political situation in the “Land of Smiles” has caught the attention of the world and has raised questions about the safety of the foreign visitors. But the real situation in Thailand is absolutely different from the reports floating around. It is business as usual there with the city of Bangkok running at a normal level and the Thais are welcoming visitors normally. The Thai authorities focus a lot on security and take enough measures to protect the most valued sector of the nation-tourism. Thais have a lot of respect for foreigners and they need not worry about their safety in the country’s wonderful beaches and exquisite hill stations. Petty crimes and small disruptions are a part of daily life in almost every other nation around the world.
Thailand has become a choicest destination for travelers who are looking for satisfying teaching jobs overseas. Living and teaching in a country like Thailand can be a life changing experience. It is much more than mere travelling; it is about experiencing a new way of life with its pros and cons, facing the challenges and at the same time expanding personal horizons. With the assurance of the authorities being there with the visitors, anyone irrespective of sex travelling to Thailand should have the basic awareness about personal safety and must do a little bit of research before travelling to a foreign country. Women who are travelling alone will find Thailand totally safe if their common sense prevail. Therefore, it is always advisable to go for at least travel insurance especially if you are visiting an exotic location but with an unfamiliar culture. Insurance becomes all the more necessary if you are planning to live and work abroad.
Apart from these, one needs to follow certain personal safety precautions:-
- You must carry your passport at all times
- Follow the instructions issued by local authorities
- Avail Bangkok taxis mostly if you are using public mode of transport
- You need to double check the place of your stay
- Go with a licensed company if you try adventurous activities
- Avoid swimming if you notice red flags at the beaches
- Women are advised to wear modest clothing
- Women should avoid wearing expensive jewelry
- Avoid loitering in dim and sparsely inhabited areas
- Be careful with alcohol and drugs
- Possession and distribution of drugs will invite severe penalties
- Always get hold of the number of your country’s embassy
Starting your teaching career in Thailand after obtaining a TEFL certification will be advantageous because Thailand offers a congenial environment and the cost of living is relatively cheaper in Thailand in comparison to other Asian countries. Getting a TEFL certification and choosing to teach in Thailand will be a wise decision and a great investment in terms of gaining valuable experience career wise.